The festive season is upon us again and many of us will be away from home visiting family and friends. Unfortunately there are people out there who are looking to take advantage of your absence to ruin your end of year celebrations.
There are some simple but effective steps that you can take to ensure your home is protected while you are away.
- Make sure you cancel all your regular deliveries such as milk and newspapers.
- Have a neighbour call in to tidy up the post, open and draw shut the curtains, and turn the lights on and off.
- Set automatic timers to turn lights and a radio or television on and off.
- Arrange for a friend or neighbour to leave their car parked on your drive.
- If you are going away for a long period of time, consider contacting Royal Mail to enquire about their ‘keep safe’ service. With this scheme they will keep hold of your mail for up to two months for a small fee.
- Make sure that all your outbuildings, sheds and garages are securely locked.
- Do not leave any ladders or DIY equipment left outside in case they are utilised to make entry to your premises. Make sure they are locked away out of sight.
- Don’t discuss your holiday plans on public social networking sites. They are not as safe as you might think.
- Do not leave a message on your phone, website/blog or social networking service indicating that you are away.
You may already be aware of many of these tips but employing as many of them as you can will ensure you can relax when you are away.